The Children’s Action Plan provides this framework. It is a living document that will continue
to evolve as New Zealanders work together to achieve the fundamental changes contained
in the White Paper for Vulnerable Children.
The Government consulted the public on what changes were needed; New Zealanders contributed through the Green Paper and the Government has made those decisions in the White Paper. Now the Children’s Action Plan provides an opportunity for New Zealanders to have a say on how these changes are implemented. It is that on-going consultation that will continue to give life to this document which will be updated regularly.
The Children’s Action Plan sits behind the White Paper which targets vulnerable children who are at risk of harm now or in the future. It contains comprehensive solutions to complex problems.
The White Paper solutions include legislative changes, information sharing, tracking vulnerable children, tougher penalties and monitoring of child abusers, screening those who work with children, a free child protect phone line, public awareness campaigns, local children’s teams and shared responsibilities for all New Zealanders.
Every time the Children’s Action Plan is updated, it will be reissued in a new colour so it’s easy to recognise the latest, most up to date version as we progress through the plan.
This is New Zealand’s Children’s Action Plan.
- See a chart summarising the timeline for the action plan (PDF, 119KB)
- Children at the centre of what we do
- Reporting child abuse
- Finding, checking and connecting
- Working together, sharing the responsibility
- Focusing on what works
- Protect and respond
- Professionals helping children
- Dealing with abusers
- Mentoring and supporting
- When agencies get it wrong
- Download the White Paper (PDF, 2.2MB) , the Children's Action Plan (PDF, 200KB), or the summary actions.
- Contact us to order a printed copy of Volume I or the Children's Action Plan.